The unmistakable scent of pure Peppermint, Peppermint Essential Oil has minty top notes, bright and fresh, with hints of camphor and grass. Refreshing, Cleansing and Cooling
Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint is a fast growing perennial with herb with green stems and leaves and small white flowers. We stock two varieties of Peppermint Essential Oil, this one being the fresh scent normally associated with Peppermint, whilst the other type (Mitcham Peppermint) from a different variety of Peppermint is more reminiscent of the scent you will find in Mint Chocolates..
Peppermint derives its name from Latin and literally means “Peppery mint”. Peppermint has long been associated with it’s cooling effects and this is a result of the high menthone level which is found naturally within Peppermint Essential Oil. As a result Peppermint Essential Oil is an excellent choice for blends and skincare products which aim to cool the body and provide refreshment.
Minty top notes, which are bright and fresh. Hints of camphor and grass fill the undertones and the association with cool is evident in the scent.
Peppermint was traditionally used as a digestive aid thousands of years away and was used around living environments to chase rats away.
Peppermint is comonly used as a stimulant, antiseptic, tonic, apasmolytic and carmantive. When combined in shampoos and conditioners it can have deodorant, purifying, refreshing and anti-itching properties.
Oils to Blend with
Peppermint can be used with many essential oil. Our favourite in a lot of blends is Lavender; two oils which would seem to contradict one another but instead work in absolutely synergy. As well as this Peppermint blends well with Benzoin, Cedarwood, Cypress, Mandarin, Marjoram, Niouli, Rosemary and Pine.
The essential oil is steam distilled from the flowering tops and leaves.
Country of Origin
Peppermint Essential Oil has the following main naturally occuring active constiuents. Menthol (35-55%, Menthyl acetate (1-10%), Menthone (10-40%), menthofuran, cineole and small amounts of sesquiterpenes, viridofloral, flavonoids, phenolic acids, triterpenes, ursolic acid, sitosterols and minerals.
As with all essential oils do not use during pregnancy.
- Weight: 0.03 kg
- Blends Well With: Benzoin, Eucalyptus, Lavender, Marjoram, Lemon, Rosemary
- Contraindications: Avoid During Pregnancy, Avoid if you have Sensitive Skin, Use in Small Amounts. Do not use on children under 5
- Country of Origin: USA
- Latin Name: Mentha piperita
- Traditional Physical Properties: Dry coughs
- Part of Plant Used: Leaves & Flowering Tops
- Purity: 100% Pure
- Scent: Minty top notes, which are bright and fresh. Hints of camphor and grass fill the undertones
- Key Benefits: Cooling / Stimulating
- Traditional Emotional Use: Mental fatigue. Stimulating, Aids concentration
- Traditional Skin Use: Relieves itching, Cooling
- HS Code: 33011990
- HS Description: Peppermint Essential Oil
- HS Country: GB
- HS Composition: Viscous Liquid