Thyme has an ancient history of traditional medical use , from antiseptic remedies to a simple hangover cure, stimulating, renewing and reviving
Thyme Essential Oil
Thyme derives from wild thyme which grows in abundance throughout southern Europe. Thyme has a long, ancient history of medical, food and perfumery use. The stems of the plant reach to about eight inches, bearing small elliptical greenish grey leaves and white or purple/pink flowers. The white thyme we use is a purified version of Red Thyme Oil, which although has its uses has to be handled with extreme caution. White Thyme is safe to use in aromatherapy, hence why we choose white thyme over the red variety.
A sweet and strongly herbal fragrance which is easily recognisable
Oils to Blend with
Care should be taken when blending as it is very easy to over power other essential oils with Thyme. Thyme blends well with Bergamot, Cedarwood, Chamomile, Juniper, Lemon, Niouli, Mandarin, Melissa, Rosemary and Tea Tree. Rosemary and Thyme are a classic blend for hair treatments.
Country of Origin
Borneol, Linalool (Alcohols), Carvacrol, Thymol (Phenols), Caryophyllene (Sesquiterpene), Cymene, Terpinene (Terpenes)
A very potent oil and one of the strongest antiseptics, toxicity is possible with prolonged use of thyme. In some people skin irritation may occur therefore using in burners or other forms of inhalation are often preferable to a bath. Do not use if you have high blood pressure.
As with all essential oils, at Naturallythinking we recommend not using essential oils during pregnancy.
- Weight: 0.03 kg
- Blends Well With: Bergamot, Grapefruit, Lemon, Lavender, Rosemary, Pine
- Contraindications: Avoid During Pregnancy, Avoid if you have Sensitive Skin, Use in Small Amounts
- Country of Origin: France
- Latin Name: Thymus vulgaris
- Traditional Physical Properties: Colds, Coughs, Asthma, Sinusitis, Sore Throats, Circulation, Muscular aches and pains
- Part of Plant Used: Leaves & Flowering Tops
- Purity: 100% Pure
- Scent: Sweet, Herbal and Easily Recognisable
- Key Benefits: Cellulite
- Traditional Emotional Use: Aids concentration, Revives exhaustion
- Traditional Skin Use: Cellulite, Stimulates Glands, Poor circulation
- HS Code: 33011990
- HS Description: Thyme Essential Oil
- HS Country: GB