What is a CPSR
All products that are considered a cosmetic will require a Cosmetic Product Safety Report (CPSR) to be completed for them.
Products include all cosmetics, toiletries, creams, lotions, make-up, hair products, deodorants, fragrances, suncare products, shaving products, some teeth products.
A cosmetic product safety report is required for every product to be sold on the European market, as dictated by the EU 1223/2009 Cosmetic Law. It is a report on the safety and legality of a product.
The report looks at many different important factors including:
- Quantitative and qualitative composition
- Physical/chemical characteristics and stability
- Microbial quality
- Impurities, traces in the product and information on the packaging material
- Normal and foreseeable use
- Exposure to the product
- Exposure to the ingredients
- Toxicological profile of the ingredients
- Undesirable effects of the product
- Assessors Conclusion
- Legal ingredients listing
You will need one report for each product that you sell, including each variation. Unfortunately the new legislation does not permit a report being compiled for multiple product variations, you will need one report for each variation.
Remember: You may need Stability and/or Preservative Efficacy Testing completed on your product.